CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SERMON: LES SIGNES DE LA FOI SALVATRICE (SERMON)
CHRIST THE ROCK CONGREGATION
SUNDAY MARCH 2ND 2020
Sermon by Pastor Marc E Simeon
THE SIGNS OF THE GENUINE SAVING FAITH
LES SIGNES DE LA FOI SALVATRICE
- A person who calls himself a Christian has had his life revolutionized by Christ.
- A complete overall had been done in him to the point that he is referred to as a new creation.
- As part of the transformation, a paradigm shift had been done in his psyche, his worldview and his behavior.
- His dealing with other people should be greatly affected because of the transformation from within.
- His view of the future is changed to that of an eternity with God.
- His yearning and devotions have changed to a new passion: that of knowing God and following His precepts.
- His desire to pursue righteousness will be evidenced in all his endeavors.
- The changes will also be noticed and witnessed by others.
- His distastes for sin and evil will be evident to all.
- His quest for the things of God will be exhibited for all to see.
- His boldness, his faith, his conviction for righteousness will be manifested naturally.
- While the normal development of a child of God provides all the signs of authentic Christian faith, sometimes genuine faith can be harder to detect in the life of some individuals.
- Since all our past, present and future rest on our relationship with Christ; one is concerned to make sure that he is truly grafted in Christ for the salvation of his soul.
- Since Christ is the only way to the Father, the confessed Christian needs to examine his walks with Christ in the light of the Bible to see if indeed he is not deceiving himself.
SELF-EXAMINATION IS NECESSARY TO DETERMINE THE GENIUNENESS OF ONE’S FAITH IN GOD
- No one apart from God knows you as you know yourself.
- No one except for God can examine your motives and actions as you can.
- No one knows your heart as you do, except for God.
- No one can know the genuineness of your faith in Christ as you can except for God.
- The Bible encourages us to do our self examination to determine if indeed we are in the faith.
- If your conscience condemn you, that means you did not pass the test.
- If you cannot pass your own test, no one should give you a passing grade either.
- One should diligently seek to find the areas in his life that are not conformed to the World of God, and prayerfully seek the face of God in order to obtain victory over the flaws in his life.
2Co 13:5 Examinez-vous vous mêmes, pour savoir si vous êtes dans la foi; éprouvez-vous vous-mêmes. Ne reconnaissez-vous pas que Jésus-Christ est en vous? à moins peut-être que vous ne soyez réprouvés. (LSV)
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? –unless indeed you are disqualified. (NKJV)
YOU CAN BE SURE OF YOUR SALVATION RIGHT NOW
Ro 8:16 L’Esprit lui-même rend témoignage à notre esprit que nous sommes enfants de Dieu. (LSV)
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, (NKJV)
1Jo 5:13 Je vous ai écrit ces choses, afin que vous sachiez que vous avez la vie éternelle, vous qui croyez au nom du Fils de Dieu. (LSV)
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. (NKJV)
In the first Epistle of John, numerous clues are given to the honest person to examine if indeed he can call himself a child of God.
As part of our self-examination, I encourage everyone to take this message seriously.
For some, it will bring clarify over self-doubt that Satan uses all the time to steal the joy of the believer.
For others, this message will serve as a wakeup call to abandon any illusionary relationship you presently think you have with God in exchange for the true and genuine one that is offered in the Scriptures.
Theses twelve questions were picked up from an article I read recently entitled: “What are some of the signs of genuine saving faith?”
We will limit our scope to 1st John for the sake of time, but the bible is filled clues on how to determine genuine faith in Christ.
FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD AND FELLOW CHRISTIANS
Do you enjoy having fellowship with Christ and His redeemed people? / Ressentez-vous la joie d’être en communion avec Christ et avec ses rachetés ? (1 John 1:3)
1Jo 1:3 ce que nous avons vu et entendu, nous vous l’annonçons, à vous aussi, afin que vous aussi vous soyez en communion avec nous. Or, notre communion est avec le Père et avec son Fils Jésus-Christ. (LSV)
3 that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ. (NKJV)
- The Bible leaves no room for loner Christians
- Fellowship with fellow Christians and with God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ is sign of authentic Christianity
IN LIGHT OR IN DARKNESS
Would people say you walk in the light, or walk in the darkness? / Est-ce les gens qui vous connaissent témoigneront que vous marchez dans la lumière ou dans les ténèbres?(1 John 1:6-7)
1Jo 1:6 Si nous disons que nous sommes en communion avec lui, et que nous marchions dans les ténèbres, nous mentons, et nous ne pratiquons pas la vérité. (LSV)
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. (NKJV)
- Light and darkness do not mix. The light must cancel the darkness away.
- Darkness = sin, magic, hatred, vices, etc., all things that are contrary to the will of God.
CONVICTION OF SIN
Do you admit and confess your sin? / Admettez-vous et confesses-vous vos péchés à Dieu? (1 John 1:8)
1Jo 1:8 ¶ Si nous disons que nous n’avons pas de péché, nous nous séduisons nous-mêmes, et la vérité n’est point en nous. (LSV)
8 ¶ If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (NKJV)
- Are you one who makes excuses for your sins?
- Do you rationalize your wrongdoings?
- Are you a self-righteous person who cannot see or admit your mistakes?
- Do you have spiritual pride?
- Acknowledging your sins and agonizing over them is a sign of genuine faith in Christ.
OBEDIENCE TO THE WORD OF GOD
Are you obedient to God’s Word? / Etes-vous obéissant à la parole de Dieu? (1 John 2:3-5)
1Jo 2:3 ¶ Si nous gardons ses commandements, par là nous savons que nous l’avons connu. (LSV)
3 ¶ Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. (NKJV)
4 Celui qui dit: Je l’ai connu, et qui ne garde pas ses commandements, est un menteur, et la vérité n’est point en lui. (LSV)
4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (NKJV)
5 Mais celui qui garde sa parole, l’amour de Dieu est véritablement parfait en lui: par là nous savons que nous sommes en lui. (LSV)
5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. (NKJV)
- Obedience to the Word of God is the highest sign of true faith in God.
- Love, passion, devotion and worship to God are not necessarily the proofs of authentic faith in God, while obedience to the Word of God is only practiced by true Christians.
- Jesus said to His disciples, “If you love me, keep my commands.”
LOVE OF THE WORLD
Does your life indicate you love God rather than the world? / Est-ce que votre vie indique votre amour pour Dieu ou pour le monde? (1 John 2:15)
1Jo 2:15 N’aimez point le monde, ni les choses qui sont dans le monde. Si quelqu’un aime le monde, l’amour du Père n’est point en lui; (LSV)
15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. (NKJV)
- Are the things of God or the things of this world your preoccupations in life?
- What fills your time, your pastime, your daily routine, and your dreams?
- Where does God fits in your list of importance?
RIGHTEOUSNESS / JUSTICE
Is your life characterized by “doing what is right”? / Est-ce que faire le bien caractérise l’essence même de votre vie? (1 John 2:29)
1Jo 2:29 Si vous savez qu’il est juste, reconnaissez que quiconque pratique la justice est né de lui. (LSV)
29 If you know that He is righteous, you know that everyone who practices righteousness is born of Him. (NKJV)
- There is no such thing as an unloving, abusive and unfair Christian.
- Justice must be at the base of all the interactions of the children of God.
- Practicing righteousness is a sign of genuine faith in Christ.
THE QUEST FOR HOLINESS
Do you seek to maintain a pure life? / Cherchez-vous toujours à mener une vie sanctifiée? (1 John 3:3)
1Jo 3:3 Quiconque a cette espérance en lui se purifie, comme lui-même est pur. (LSV)
3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure. (NKJV)
- If the hope of eternal life is in you, you will naturally seek to conform to the demands of the faith which is holiness.
- Without holiness no one can see God.
- Be ye holy as I am holy says the Lord.
- Pursuing holiness is the motto of all true believers in Christ.
THE DECREASE AND ABOLITION OF SIN
Do you see a decreasing pattern of sin in your life? (1 John 3:5-6) [Note: this refers to not continuing in sin as a way of life, not a total absence of sin.] / Remarquez-vous une diminution de péché dans votre vie? NB. Le chrétien ne peut plus vivre dans le pêché alors qu’il commet encore de pêché occasionnellement.
1Jo 3:5 Or, vous le savez, Jésus a paru pour ôter les péchés, et il n’y a point en lui de péché. (LSV)
5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. (NKJV)
6 Quiconque demeure en lui ne pèche point; quiconque pèche ne l’a pas vu, et ne l’a pas connu. (LSV)
6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. (NKJV)
- Do you have horror of sin in your life?
- Are you experiencing the decrease or the absence of your habitual sins in your life?
- One’s reaction to sin is an indication of his position with God.
Do you demonstrate love for other Christians? / Remarquez-vous un amour ardant pour les enfants de Dieu? (1 John 3:14)
1Jo 3:14 ¶ Nous savons que nous sommes passés de la mort à la vie, parce que nous aimons les frères. Celui qui n’aime pas demeure dans la mort. (LSV)
14 ¶ We know that we have passed from death to life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love his brother abides in death. (NKJV)
- Jesus wants his disciples to be identified by their love for one another.
- Loving other Christians is not an option in the Christian faith.
- The love one confess for God is questioned when it is not evidenced in the love of his neighbors.
LOVE NOT IN WORD BUT IN ACTION
Do you “walk the walk,” versus just “talking the talk”? / Y-a-t-il de l’authenticité dans votre marche avec Dieu? (1 John 3:18-19)
1Jo 3:18 Petits enfants, n’aimons pas en paroles et avec la langue, mais en actions et avec vérité. (LSV)
18 My little children, let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and in truth. (NKJV)
19 Par là nous connaîtrons que nous sommes de la vérité, et nous rassurerons nos coeurs devant lui; (LSV)
19 And by this we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him. (NKJV)
- For God so loved the world that He gave…
- Love without action is lip service
- True Christians act their love instead of stating it.
CLEAR CONSCIENCE AND FREE OF GUILT
Do you maintain a clear conscience? / Etes-vous sous le joug et la condamnation de votre conscience? (1 John 3:21)
1Jo 3:21 Bien-aimés, si notre coeur ne nous condamne pas, nous avons de l’assurance devant Dieu. (LSV)
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. (NKJV)
- Your conscience will not allow you to enjoy the Christian life if you are living in sin.
- Your conscience will not give you a false report concerning your state with God unless activated by the devil.
- Your conscience often reflects the thoughts of the Holy Spirit. When your conscience condemn you, so are you most of the times in the sights of God.
VICTORY OVER THE WORLD
Do you experience victory in your Christian walk? / Menez-vous une vie victorieuse sur le monde et ses convoitises? (1 John 5:4)
1Jo 5:4 parce que tout ce qui est né de Dieu triomphe du monde; et la victoire qui triomphe du monde, c’est notre foi. (LSV)
4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world–our faith. (NKJV)
- Are you constantly losing the battle to sin, or are you winning it?
- Are you an on/off Christian, or are an on/on Christian at all times?
- Victory over sin is a sign of authentic Christianity.
- Triumphing over guises of the devil is a decisive sign of genuine Christian faith.
- Many times, people have assumptions of having valuable things that they hold firm unto, only to find out at last that they were fake.
- Many are looking forward to pension funds that do not exist in reality.
- Many people have a lot of gold bonds in their names and most of the times, the gold does not exist in reality.
- Many spend their lives paying for life insurance and when they pass, no money is given to their families for one reason or another.
- Salvation involves one’s eternal destiny, therefore cannot and must not be taken lightly.
- To miss salvation is to choose hell by default, since there are only two destinations after death.
Since the Bible warns us that many are called but few are selected;
Since the Bible also warns us that all who say Lord, Lord will not enter into the kingdom of God;
Since it is appointed for men to once die, after that comes the judgment;
Since the Bible gives us enough clues to check the genuineness of our faith;
We are mandated to make sure that our faith in God is real.
Let’s all sincerely ask God to survey our walk with Him.
Let’s all lament like David in Psalm 139:23-24 and ask God to test us, and to do something about it if he finds that we are drifting away.
Ps 139:23 Sonde-moi, ô Dieu, et connais mon cœur! Éprouve-moi, et connais mes pensées! (LSV)
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; (NKJV)
24 Regarde si je suis sur une mauvaise voie, Et conduis-moi sur la voie de l’éternité! (LSV)
24 And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting. (NKJV)
May God add His blessings upon His Word